This large window is dedicated to the memory of the Rev. Henry MacNamara, Bishop Forbes’s successor at St Paul’s Church from 1875 to his death in 1885. The window is composed of four tall lights, each divided into three sections. When this window was installed in 1887, the Rev. Edward Gough, the Priest at St Paul’s 1885-1895, described it as a visual reminder of the links between St Paul’s and the Early Church, and with the religious life of the British Isles.
The upper section depicts four saints of the Early Church: Saints Chrysostom and Basil of the Eastern Church; and Saints Augustine and Ambrose of the Western Church. Gough described the figures in the central section as ‘four representative saints of Great Britain’, linking together our national history. From the left these are St. David, King of Scotland, 1124-1153, holding Brechin Cathedral, which he founded; St Columba, the Irish missionary, dressed as Abbot of Iona, 563; St. Edward the Confessor, King of England, 1042-1066, holding St John’s ring; and St. Cuthbert*, Prior of Melrose Abbey and Bishop of Lindisfarne (c.635-687). The lower section illustrates incidents in the lives of the principal figures above. David is shown distributing alms; Columba is preaching to the Picts; Edward the Confessor is receiving St John’s ring from pilgrims; and Cuthbert is declining the offer of the See of Lindisfarne.
The tracery above the main window features Christian imagery relating to the Crucifixion and the Holy Eucharist.
*St Cuthbert is shown holding the crowned head of King Oswald of Northumbria (c.604-642). Oswald was killed at the battle of Maserfield and his body dismembered. Later it was interred in St Cuthbert’s tomb in Durham Cathedral, hence the association. There is a sea bird in the corner, a reminder of Cuthbert’s life on Lindisfarne.