Sedilia are the seats for the celebrant and other clergy, next to the Altar and on the south side of the Chancel. In medieval times, as in St Paul’s, these were often stone benches built into a niche in the wall. This feature is made from richly decorated Sienna marble and alabaster, and on the canopies over the seats is a reminder of its function, carved heads illustrating the threefold order of ministry – Bishop, Priest and Deacon – with angel figures on either side.
The long inscription at the back of the seats commemorates the Consecration of St Paul’s Church on All Saints Day,1 November 1865. It also records the names of the 1865 Vestry: Sir John Ogilvy, Bt. of Inverquharity, Christopher Kerr, David Small, Thomas Nicholson, Kenneth Henderson, William Crossthwaite, Oliver Gourlay Miller, Andrew Brown, and John Sturrock.
Bishop Forbes paid for the sedilia from his private funds, and it was completed in time for the anniversary of the Consecration in November 1866.